Sunday 15 August 2010

Orientation: Day One

I want to say a quick word about my first day of orientation. Why does the strategy of law school socialization mean you just throw 200 students into a room and say, 'okay, go make friends'? It's so awkward and uncomfortable. If they just got down to classes, people would eventually get to know each other and I wouldn't have had to hang out with a bunch of people today who I'll probably never speak to again.

I had forgotten how obsessed people are with football. I shouldn't be surprised, it is the Midwest after all. But damn, people, develop some other interests will you? Still, this is law school, so maybe appearances are deceiving. These are serious people, so maybe the football talk is just the ice breaker conversation topic for the first few days. I was, however, the oldest person I met all day. I am also well past my clubbing days, so I felt quite old and lame while everyone else talked about how hung over they were this morning. I did not meet any other married people, but there must be some, because at the cookout, some people brought their children.

With regard to the cookout--yes, I ate. I had a burger--and it was damn good too. They also served these gigantic bratwursts that looked ludicrously phallic, but the girls in the group I sat with were digging in, so, I lost my inhibitions. Plus, the grilling just smelled so good, I could not resist.

I also got the very welcome news that the orientation Intro to Law course has a much heavier workload than the term-time classes. I don't know if that means per class or overall. If it means overall, I will be extremely pleased, but I felt I could definitely handle that amount of work. Yet I suspect it is the former rather than the latter.

I did not get switched into the section I requested. Another person in my orientation section randomly got switched into my preferred section without even asking for it. I'm telling you, I'm on someone's shit list somewhere.

In the welcoming remarks, the dean of the school said something very interesting. She said that there are no law prodigies--good lawyers are not born, they are made. Ojala.

Finally, a word on dress: I don't want to go too far off topic, but I dressed up a bit for the first day of orientation on the advice of several people including Denis Jansen, whose advice I usually rely upon, without hiccup. I was one of the best dressed people there. I wore a pencil skirt of dress fabric, a GAP t-shirt and a black cardigan on top. I think I struck the right balance between professionalism and casual ease. Apparently not many other people felt that was necessary. I think it reflects poorly on them, and I'm going to keep dressing in a way that makes me feel comfortable. I want in every respect to put my best foot forward since this is the beginning of my career. Special thanks to Huma.

Tomorrow is our first class and our first exposure to Socratic method. I'm staying cool though. No sweat.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! There's nothing wrong with looking a little more put-together than your peers. ;)

    ReplyDelete